Saturday, December 22, 2012

So Long, Farewell...

It is hard to believe that I am at the end of this 10-week-long journey. I have been preparing for this trip for over a year, and for it to be coming to an end feels very strange.

Although living in a place for a couple months can make you feel at home, it cannot feel like the place where you grew up. I am not sure how long it would take to feel entirely like a new country is home, but - especially after this experience - I do know that moving to a new country permanently would be a very difficult and brave thing to do. 

This has been an unbelievable, probably once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I wouldn’t change a thing about it. I came to live in a new country, lived with a host family, taught in a school, and traveled to so many cities and beautiful landmarks. I am so appreciative for this incredible opportunity and to the people who made it possible. I encourage you all to take a step outside of your norm - by traveling, talking to someone new, trying a new food, anything out of the ordinary - and see a different piece of the world, whether it is close to home or far away.


I have learned so much about Ireland and Irish culture during my time here, but I cannot pretend to be an expert. If anything, I have more questions now than I did before I came to Ireland. This beautiful country has such a rich history, gorgeous countryside, and interesting people. I have so enjoyed meeting so many people, visiting different parts of the country, and especially seeing the incredible architecture and historical buildings, and the stunning landscapes.

I hope that through this blog I have shown you at least a small piece of my life and Ireland in the past couple months. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and share in my adventures! And, for the last time, slán leat!


No comments:

Post a Comment