Some of my favorites:
- "TK Maxx" = TJ Maxx
- "Half nine" = Nine thirty
- "What's the craic?" (pronounced "crack") = What's going on?
- "Panto" = Show/play (short for pantomime, which is a play)
- "After-dos" = Wedding reception or an after-party of any kind
- "Bin it." = Put it in the trash can. (Trash is rubbish, and the trash can is the bin.)
~ I very much appreciate tables with fresh breads and pastries laid out in gas station convenience stores. I would like for this to happen in the U.S. (I will try to get a picture to share.)
~ I am not very good at using my left hand for my fork. (Here, they eat "properly." ;) When using a knife, you keep the fork in your left hand and knife in your right hand.)
~ Eggs are not refrigerated in the grocery store.
~ There are different terms of endearment. The most common ones I've heard are "love" and "pet." "Pet" is used a lot with the junior and senior infants at school.
~ I love the beautiful sunsets over the "hills" (not mountains) when it's not rainy. The sun now starts to set shortly after 4 pm.
Probably more random thoughts in a future post...
Slán go fóill! ♥